Are you OK with cookies?

We use small files called ‘cookies’ on Some are essential to make the site work, some help us to understand how we can improve your experience, and some are set by third parties. You can choose to turn off the non-essential cookies. Which cookies are you happy for us to use?

Skip to content

Complaints from the public

We have a responsibility to make sure the citizens’ rights included in the EU Withdrawal Agreement and EEA EFTA Separation Agreement are being correctly followed by public bodies.  

One of the ways we do this is to ask EU and EEA EFTA citizens, their family members, and others, to report a complaint to us when they are concerned their rights have been, or might be, breached.  

We will review all complaints from a person who claims a right set out in the agreements mentioned above.  

This includes:

  • EU and EEA EFTA citizens and their families
  • UK nationals who derive rights from the citizens’ rights part of the Withdrawal Agreement and EEA EFTA Separation Agreement and their families
  • anyone who has equivalent rights to those contained in the Withdrawal Agreement or EEA EFTA Separation Agreement as a result of their eligibility to claim settled status

We use the complaints reported to us to build up a picture of where there are common, wide-reaching, or systemic issues with how UK public bodies are operating, rather than for the purpose of resolving individual complaints.  

Citizens should still complain in the normal ways to find a resolution to their problem. They will continue to have access to all existing routes of complaint and appeal that exist under UK law, including the many authorities, tribunals and ombudsmen that currently enforce the rights of citizens in the UK.  

If a complaint is not within the scope of the IMA, we may signpost you to the relevant public body for you to seek further information. 

Related information