EU citizens reminded of rights when travelling to the UK

Travel ,

EU and EEA EFTA citizens are being reminded of their rights when travelling to the UK by the Independent Monitoring Authority for the Citizens’ Rights Agreements (IMA).

With the summer holiday season in full swing, the IMA is continuing to receive complaints and intelligence from people experiencing difficulties with airline carriers whilst travelling to the UK.

The IMA, which was established to ensure the rights of EU and EEA EFTA citizens who are protected by the EU Withdrawal Agreement and EEA EFTA Separation Agreement are upheld by public bodies, has been in ongoing discussions with the Home Office about travel to the UK.

The Home Office has confirmed that citizens who hold pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) or who are awaiting the outcome of a valid application will still be able to use their national ID card to enter the UK until at least 31 December 2025.

Those whose rights are protected under the Withdrawal and Separation Agreements but do not have status under the EUSS, such as Frontier Workers and those with pending valid EUSS applications, can also continue to use their valid national ID cards to enter the UK.

Last week, the IMA issued an open letter to airline carriers to remind them of the guidelines issued by the Home Office.

Pam Everett, Operations Director for the IMA said:

“Both citizens and carriers need to be aware of the current guidance about entry to the UK as we know people are experiencing difficulties.

“Carriers are not required to check an EU or EEA EFTA citizen’s immigration status, whether a person has status under EUSS or their entitlement to travel on a national ID card. They only need to check that they have a valid passport or national ID card.

“Citizens living in the UK with pre-settled or settled status should have their digital status automatically recognised at the UK border when they enter, provided they use the same personal details and identity document they used to apply to the EUSS or have associated with their UKVI account. It’s therefore really important that these documents are kept up to date.”

Citizens whose details or identity document have since changed, such as a new passport or national ID card, can find information on how to update their details on their UKVI account via GOV.UK. Not updating UKVI accounts may result in checks at the UK border in order to verify their status.

Further guidance about entering the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme and EU Settlement Scheme family permit can be found via the Border Force website. Individuals who need help accessing or using the online immigration status services can contact the UKVI Resolution Centre.

The IMA encourages any citizen experiencing difficulties in exercising their rights to make them aware of this through their online portal.